Thursday, August 24, 2017

Adventures in Dehydrating







My new Excalibur dehydrator is amazing.  I mean, AMAZING!  I just got it two days ago after  literally years of imagining what I could do with one.  I set to work right away. Mango, eggplant, ginger (for ground ginger) peaches, kale....all of these have been experimented with.  Each one has been incredible.  I wanted to have this so that I could really make sure the kids had healthy snacks in their school lunches and so I would not have to spend so much on dried fruits and veggies.  Now that I have a great source for inexpensive fruits and veggies year round (more on that in a separate post), having this dehydrator is going to just add additional cost savings.  I am so excited about it!  I have been sending pics to close friends and family of some of my creations and they are equally amazed. All of it tastes like something from Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, and it is not because I am doing anything special (although I did specially season the eggplant - it was SOOO good!) but because what God has created is beautiful and tasty all on its own.

Also, the sun tea that I made a couple of days ago was really good.  I am going  to start doing that more.  There is no bitterness in the tea, just flavor.  It needs no sweetener at all.

I have really been trying to stay productive in the house, but still feels like nothing is getting done.  I have tremendous respect for women that work from home and/or stay at home with children.  It is a lot of work.  For me, trying to get work done AND simultaneous be present for my children's needs are two arduous tasks. But with God, all things are possible and He has extended me a lot of grace.

On the debt payoff front, in less than two weeks our children will be back in school and my husband's teaching job will begin again.  This means we can transfer all of the money that we've stored in savings directly to debt payoff - as soon as he gets his first paycheck.  I think we will actually be able to pay off our (small) vehicle loan next month!  How exciting is that!  When we get back to paying off debt next month, I plan on doing more posts about budgeting and how Dave Ramsey's plan is working for us.

Blessings!
 






No comments:

Post a Comment