Sunday, March 12, 2017

INFJ Lawyer



Last night I took a personality test.  I am trying my best to figure out what is the best route for me to go professionally.  I don't know if I have said it before, but I am a lawyer.  I practice in-house at a local non-profit.  I used to be very happy in my position, but slowly I have been feeling like I am not growing.  I am not challenged.  At the very beginning of the year, I tried to find happiness and more of a challenge in the position by making long lists of tasks that I wanted to complete, hoping that I would busy myself into loving the job more.  But, as the tasks have been checked off my list and with nothing more to add, I have been becoming increasingly frustrated.  I feel that my time is slowly coming to an end, but I want to make a calculated move next.

The personality test, which I have taken occasionally over the years, gave me significant insight into what makes me tick.  It hit the nail on the head by indicating that I am a writer.  I love to write and struggle with this blog because the perfectionist in me gets frustrated by the fits and spurts that I write here.  I want it to be all or nothing - either I write every day and grow the blog, or I never write because it is too much of a mental burden to think about how I am neglecting this space.  I also love to counsel people and help them to find solutions to their problems.  This seems very lawyerly, right? Right.  But one of the frustrations that I had in private practice was that there were social issues that the law could not correct, and I did not have sufficient time to give my clients assistance with the peripheral issues that were impacting their daily lives more than the law could.  Nevertheless, my sessions with each client would be longer than necessary, as I would get wrapped up in their stories.

But what does all of this mean?  Where can I go next that will help me to use all of my gifts?  Or is it even possible to use all of these gifts and talents in the position that I currently have?  I would love to assist the HR department in employment investigations or employee relations, but for some odd reason, I don't think that department desires outside help. So, how do I bloom where I am planted? Or is it time to re-plant somewhere else?

I think I could thrive in the law with another employer, but I am really thinking that I should explore some other career areas, especially HR, higher education and ... I don't know.  If I can get into a position, such as student-advising, in higher education, then I could take free classes in another area that may help me boost my resume and land a lasting career.  But, I also need to increase my income and higher education positions, outside of being a professor, don't pay very well.  The personality test suggested I explore careers in healthcare.  Maybe I should do that?  I don't know. I am so conflicted.  And I really want to make a smart move, but I don't feel like I am the one holding the cards.  (As a Christian, I am sure this is the spot where I should seek the Lord).  Okay, off to my prayer closet I go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment