Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Coupon-clipping Lawyer?


I remember when I was in law school - I was broke.  In undergrad I worked in CVS for three years, part time.  It was a great job - kept me focused and away from trouble, gave me a discount on food and personal care items and a little money in my pocket.  It was while working there that I was exposed to the wonderful world of coupling.  I learned how to stack coupons for extra savings and how to make a dollar stretch.  When I got into law school, I kept up that tradition of coupling.  I was working full time as a paralegal during the day and attending class at night.  I needed to make every dollar stretch.

When I was in a group study session one evening, I made a comment about coupling when I became a lawyer.  It was  part of my psyche at the time, and I knew that I would continue to do the same thing once I was actually a lawyer.  One of my study partners firmly stated that I would no longer have the time to coupon, and I really would not need to anyway, because my income would obviate that need.

Well, I have come to learn that not every lawyer makes at $200k income.  Especially one, like me, who works for a charitable non-profit.  And when your student loan debt looks anything like mine, you are likely to consider doing everything in your power to limit expenses.  I still coupon.  I still look for deals on food.  I make living below my means a priority.  I cook from scratch.  Eating out is a luxury that we rarely afford ourselves these days.  We are literally throwing every dollar saved at this debt.  And it feels good.  I love showing my children how to be fiscally responsible.  They love learning.  We are selling stuff we don't need or want, taking care of what we have to make it last longer, budgeting, and making the most of every day.  This is stewardship.  This is how we give God glory with what He has entrusted to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment